Technological development has been an explosive growth area for many industries and is the driver behind Canada’s focus on innovation-driven economic progress. Central to a legal advisor’s ability to provide creative yet practical and client-tailored services is a thorough understanding of the science and technology that underpins a client’s business strategy and its long and short term goals. A lawyer’s ability to easily grasp scientific and technological concepts ensures unfettered and meaningful communication with business and technical personnel that translates into efficient use of a client’s financial resources.
Harnessing Dr. Gabriella Chan’s advanced scientific background that enables her to easily navigate any technology sector, together with her legal and practical business experience, Yocto is well positioned to advise a variety of entities in this sector.
Yocto’s clients receive tailored, well-rounded, and pragmatic advice informed by:
● legal experience as former Vice President of Legal Affairs at a nanotechnology start-up
● an advanced scientific background
● practical business experience working in start-ups
● experience working closely with scientific teams and world-renowned researchers to commercialize academic inventions
● experience negotiating licensing agreements with university technology transfer offices
Contact Yocto for assistance with:
● IP portfolio development and strategic management including: assessment, enforcement, exploitation and commercialization of IP assets
● Freedom to operate analyses and business strategy
● Corporate matters including founders’ and shareholders’ agreements and executive compensation packages
● Commercialization matters including drafting, review, and negotiation of licensing, distribution, employment, confidentiality, non-competition, strategic alliances, collaboration, R&D, outsourcing, design and development, service level and maintenance, technology, and software escrow agreements
● Drafting statement of work documents
● Corporate governance matters including directors’ and officers’ liability
● Development of policy and best practices manuals and training materials including: company policies, privacy policies, and IP policy manuals, as well as IP fundamentals instruction manuals
● Privacy matters including compliance with CASL
● Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credit program
● Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) compliance
See additional services.